While talking to someone at work or even on the phone I often find myself drifting off where my attention wanders off. This happens even during short say 5 ~ 10 minute conversations. If while talking I try to write down some stuff to that I can remember later, I miss out out the details. Any techniques you guys can suggest for improving on this aspect ?
Emotions are the cause of failure of our intelligence --Jose Antonia marina
Observing our emotions is as important as observing our thoughts --Tolle
1) As you exercise to keep your body in shape in same way you have to exercise to keep your mind in shape.
2) Are your emotions in control while listening? (it seems not in control that is why you may be facing this problem) maybe you are overwhelmed, maybe you are suffering from some lack of confidence, self esteem issues , lack of interest or maybe other things. what you need to do is to find out what is disturbing you get rid of disturbance. maybe talking to a one particular person you lose confidence , find out why. In short try to find the source of the emotional outburst if any and try to solve the problem.
3) maybe you have lot of things on your mind to do. do it and clear your mind. try to write all the things down you need to do, that will definitely be a help.
4) start meditation that will automatically lead to better concentration.
5) if not doing try some jogging in the morning for about 20 minutes per day which will automatically energies you and will speed up the blood flow in you body which will automatically bring you in the better frame of mind.
6) before talking to someone breadth i.e inhale and exhale from your nose 20 times that will automatically control your breathing. do this breathing exercise for about 20 minutes per day. it is very important to keep breathing under control for quality of life.
7) try to listen to some intelligent and informative talkshows on bbc or some documentaries on discovery etc and try to recall what is being said afterwards. try to write it down.
try to follow what is relevant to you and see how it goes.
Seriously, it helps. It kept me awake during lectures (which are done in warm, dim lit halls - the perfect sleeping conditions). Keeps your mind awake. My attention span has grown exponentially, thanks to chewing gym.
Silly advice, but I am being serious.