I am currently planning my life in a text-based format, like this:
- Yearly goals. Doesn't include concrete action steps.
- Monthly goals: Specific action steps associated with the goals from (1).
- Daily goals: A few action steps from (2).
- A backlog of action steps. These are actions I could take in the future.
This text-based system works well. But I'd like to do more things, which are not possible with that:
- Linking action steps and goals ("Which action steps did I complete on that goal?")
- Timetracking and statistics ("How much time did I spend on this goal?")
- Search for past action steps ("What did I do in March of 2012?")
- Organizing and searching through the backlog with tags.
Is there any software that does all of the above? It has to be Desktop, no web application. Can be commercial or free.