I am self-employed in software development and I can work either at home or at office with my friends and co-workers.
I have a sub-notebook which I connect to peripherals at home or at office.
The problem is how to balance my need for simplicity, minimalism and balance with switching of workplaces.
Here are some aspects of working at home:
- quiet environment
- solitude (better focus, but no social contact)
- high-quality LCD and peripherals (can be moved to office, but then I would not be able to watch movies and play at home)
- high amount of light
- can think loudly, sing to music or playing with my pets whenever I want
Here are aspect of working at the office:
- personal contact, laughter and chat
- lower-quality LCD and peripherals (just good for work, but not enjoying)
- low amount of light
- need to respect social norms
The travel from home to office takes 35 minutes by public transport and I am considering whether to work at home or at office every day.
Just this thinking take me some cognitive effort everyday and I would like to get rid of it. Some possible solutions include:
buy a bigger notebook for home and move high-quality peripherals to office - I would still be able to work at home on the notebook
improve the workplace at office
make my home the "main" workplace and work in the office only with my notebook
So far I am moving between the two extremes. I work at home until the solitude and loneliness are unbearable - then I move to office. After some time in the office, I start getting angry from all the little noises, talk a darkness. And the cycle repeats.
Do you have similar experiences? Any hints and opinions on how to balance this?