Often I find myself stuck in endless navigation on my phone. I just want to check if I received a message, or doing some basic research, and without noticing it I jump from link to link (or spending time refreshing the same page in the wait). I would like an app that, whenever you turn on wifi or 3g, asks you why are you going on the internet and how long will you need it. Then it should disconnect you when the time you set or the daily limit has expired. Does an app like this exist? Would you like to implement one?
Of course I appreciate any other suggestion: methods to block Internet connectivity, methods to block specific sites, or methods just to block the browser and facebook messenger. Just I don't want to dismiss my 3G plan, since sometimes I really need mobile internet (e.g. navigation). Anyway, I would still have WiFi at home and I can't turn it off since I am not the only one using it. Another restriction is that I use Opera Mini browser (any other browser takes ages to load on my phone). I think that there aren't extensions like Leechblock or Stayfocusd in this case... My phone is a rooted Android Gingerbread.
So far I've tried:
- Rescuetime: I wasn't satisfied with the tracking, because it tracked also Messenger running in background, even when I was not chatting
- Timerrific: I set to switch on/off wifi at certain hours, but it's just too easy to switch wifi on again. Switching off 3g (changing APN) was only in the paid version
- Parental control apps: had a look but never installed any of them, because they were too expensive and made use of their own browser
- KeepFocus : at first sight it looked very good, but on my phone most of the time it just wouldnt load. I uninstalled it when it loaded and started to crash and load itself again in loop (I can't exclude it was my fault, maybe I tried some conflicting settings, anyway it never worked properly)
- Self Control: it blocks the access to selected apps (like browsers, email, facebook... allowing you to continue usign the smartphone for basic functions like calls and texts). Not bad if you are ok with fixed time slots without distractions
- Screen Time Control: it allows to use the phone for a predetermined time. It just a bit more than a reminder, since you have to digit a pin to unblock it