How do you archive your projects?
The most important thing is to try to think about this in advance. I spend a lot of time designing my folder structure for projects whenever I start a new position.
The reason being:
- Almost always, people start creating folders and subfolders as needed without thinking about the longer term implications - perhaps 1-5 years - of trying to organize their files
- It's a huge pain to try and do a massive reorganization (especially after several years) which means it's really unlikely you will ever do this
- A well organized file structure which you understand can save you hours upon hours trying to find files.
- Ambiguous folder names (or multiple ones potentially containing the same information) are a nightmare from the long term maintenance perspective
I then try to revisit this structure periodically to ensure it is still making sense long term. Mainly from the perspective of:
- What will make sense to "search" for in the future?
- Will this let me find whatever projects I am currently working on?
Don't underestimate either how important clear folder names are.