I've noticed a disturbing pattern with myself that goes like this:
- At the beginning (e.g. start of the day, sitting down after lunch, or getting home at night), think about one thing I need to do and start doing it.
- Think about a couple other things I need to do. Get distracted from the initial task by these thoughts, but get back to it.
- Think about more things - some of which may be more important and/or time sensitive.
- Lose the motivation to do any of them, including the one I was in the middle of working on.
- Surf the web, watch TV, play a game on my phone, or check my email.
I know it's easy to say "just finish that first thing you were working on, then move on to the others" but it just doesn't work. What techniques can I use to actually get things done?